The common cold is one of the most irritating illnesses that strikes during the autumn. The change in season can often catch us off guard, and when we return to the office after our summer holidays our immune systems are often weaker, meaning germs can take hold.
If you want to avoid getting the sniffles this October, discover URBAN MASSAGE’S five top tips for how to prevent a cold this
1. Practise good hygiene at work and home – it might not be the sexiest tip but being clean will drastically decrease your chances of catching the dreaded common cold. Wash your hands often, especially after shaking hands or touching public areas like tube escalators or office door handles. Keep a tube of hand sanitiser or antibacterial wipes in your bag and use them when you can’t get to a sink. Be sure to avoid biting your nails too, many studies have proven harmful bacteria lies under our nails.
2. Make sure you get your eight hours – sleep is your body’s time to reboot and recover so if you think you might be susceptible to getting a cold try and have a few good nights’ sleep. Your body needs all the energy it can get when it’s trying to fight off bacteria so while it might not be the most fun solution, a couple of quiet nights in could really benefit you.
3. Pack in the nutrients where you can – a healthy diet is important all year round, but when the weather starts turning colder we’re less inclined to eat fresh fruits and salad and instead turn to warming winter dishes like pies and puddings. Be sure to eat as balanced as possible, even if you feel a cold coming. That means carbs, proteins and plenty of vitamins and minerals. If you’re struggling, consider taking multivitamins to make sure your body’s getting all the nutrients it needs.
4. Drink as much water as you can – dehydration makes any kind of ailment much worse so try and drink as many glasses of water as you can. Even if you’re feeling fine taking on board more fluids will help keep everything in the body flowing, loosening any mucus that could be building in your body.
5. Get a flu jab and protect yourself – if you’re eligible for a free flu jab, take it. There’s also a lot to be said for hot water, lemon and honey if you start feeling a sore throat coming on. If your partner has a cold, try and keep contact to a minimum. Of course, you may be on Lemsip duty but make sure they’re the ones getting rid of the pile of tissues that builds up on the bedside table, not you.
URBAN MASSAGE is an on-demand, massage-booking platform that brings together massage therapists and customers through a process that is easy, convenient and accessible.
At the touch of a button, customers are able to book a 5* spa-quality massage treatment of their choice in the comfort and convenience of their own home, office or hotel within 60 minutes. URBAN MASSAGE, which operates in five UK cities – London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow – and now also abroad, in Paris – has over 700 therapists UK-wide available to book via their iPhone app, Android app or online via the website.
URBAN MASSAGE’S ambition is to empower the world to book and to supply wellness services in urban areas – all over. Both treatment selection and service are standardised, consistent, transparent, and competitively-priced.
To book an appointment and further information please visit: www.URBANMASSAGE.com