Celebrity dentist, Dr Richard Marques has put together some natural teeth whitening tips to keep your teeth nice and white!
1. Use Baking Soda!: Baking Soda is a natural teeth whitener and included in many toothpastes, such as the Arm&Hammer brands. Try mixing a quarter teaspoon of Baking Soda with water and applying this to the teeth with your toothbrush. Alternatively add the Baking Soda to a cheap toothpaste. It will not damage your teeth in any way but will make them look gradually whiter over time. Science-Baking Soda is a natural cleaning and oxidising agent.
2. Eat strawberries: due to the Malic acid these can naturally whiten your teeth. Science-Malic acid is a natural cleanser.
3. Warm salt water: helps both whiten your teeth naturally and looks after your gums, as it is a natural antibacterial. Mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm kettle boiled water (cool it down) and use it as mouthwash. Science-Salt is a natural antibacterial working by attacking bacterial cell walls.
4. Eat white foods: the whiter the foods you eat the whiter your teeth will be. Eat chicken, rice and fish. Avoid pigmented foods such as beetroot, blueberries, carrots and Chinese/Indian takeaway – which has lots of tumeric or food colourings. Science-White foods have no colourings. Food colourings stain teeth by binding to tooth surface.
5. Eat apples: apples are one of the natural teeth cleansing foods. Science-Once again Malic acid is a natural cleanser.
6. Drink water or milk: you can also drink lemonade or tonic water. White wine is better than red wine. Science-Calcium in milk helps strengthen tooth enamel and structure as well as jaw bone. Water is a natural cleanser washing away plaque.
7. Use an electric toothbrush: electric toothbrushes can remove up to 70% more plaque than manual brushes alone. The new Sonicare Black Diamond brush vibrates at a speed of 31,000 brush strokes per minute and also has whitening mode -that is a special three minute cycle for the all the teeth, to remove any stains. Science-Electric toothbrushes remove more stains by vibrating or rotating in a more efficient and effective manner than manual brushing alone.
8. Eat cheese: another great naturally cleansing food that can strengthen the teeth. Science-Cheese contains calcium and also has a cleansing surface structure – especially hard cheese like cheddar.
9. Use coconut oil as a mouth rinse (oil pulling): use a tablespoon of coconut oil and swill in the mouth for as long as you can. The longer the better (15 mins is an ideal time). Try Diamond Whites’* Black edition liquid (£9.99), a teeth whitening mouthwash with organic coconut oil. Science-This removes bacteria and helps prevent plaque and stains from sticking to teeth by lubricating them.
10. See your dentist regularly: to have the teeth cleaned and checked. You can also consider professional in-clinic laser teeth whitening if advised. Science-Only your dentist can check thoroughly for cavities. X-Rays may be required to check the inside of the teeth and jaws. Laser teeth whitening uses hydrogen peroxide activated by a laser light to remove staining from inside the teeth in just one hour.
11. Charcoal: is also another effective way to help clean and whiten your teeth. It’s a 100% natural tooth polish made from activated coconut shell charcoal. It strengths gums, removes toxins from the mouth and absorbs bacteria and is affordable – Diamond Whites for example offers this for only £16.99.
For more information on Dr Richard Marques and his London based dental practice please visit: wimpolestreetdental.com