Self-catering villa specialist Villa Select has a number of properties available for Christmas and New Year in its winter European destinations of Cyprus and Sicily. Here, its villa specialists provide their top reasons to go overseas for the festive season this year and some of the best villas to choose.
1. It solves the gift-buying problem. Everyone comes away from Christmas with things they don’t need or want – investing in a holiday instead of large presents, or buying a flight for a loved one might be a more welcome gesture.
2. No one has to host. Choosing whose house to spend Christmas in can create tension – the hosts have the upper hand on how the roast potatoes are cooked but also shoulder the responsibility for the preparation and many costs. A villa denotes neutral territory where everyone can chip in and share the excitement of planning Christmas.
3. It’s a break from the normal routine. Going away gives everyone the chance to relax and enjoy the festive season. There’s no need to worry about endless cleaning, life admin or collecting relatives from train stations. Villa Select’s team will ensure the beds are made for your arrival and you have full information on where and when you can stock up on Christmas supplies.
4. There’s space for everyone. Villas accommodate up to 16 people, so guests can afford to try the local wine during Christmas dinner without the prospect of a drive home. Properties have plenty of space for entertaining – large dining tables, living areas and outdoor spaces – so there’s no need to seat the kids on garden furniture and piano stools.
5. Celebrations can last a full week. Christmas and New Year are times to enjoy with family and friends, but they seem to pass in a flash. A week-long holiday gives everyone enough time to play their new board game, watch their new DVD and actually finish the Christmas dinner leftovers.
Where to stay this December
Villa Select has properties accommodating between two and 16 people available throughout December 2015 in Cyprus and Sicily. These are just a few options that are currently available for Christmas and/or New Year. For the full selection, see www.villaselect.com. Rental prices quoted below do not include flights or car rental, which is recommended.
For on-site activities and entertainment
Villa Montemare is family-friendly, but its top of the range facilities are just as likely to appeal to a group of adults sharing. Sleeping 10 people, the villa has a tennis court, squash court, hot tub, sauna and gym equipment as well as games consoles, barbecue and a pool table – plenty to keep everyone entertained over Christmas. The villa is in the west of Cyprus and is available for a week-long stay arriving on 23rd December for £3,923 per week.
For the budget conscious
Villa Stefanos in west Cyprus sleeps six guests across one double and two twin bedrooms. It is available for one-week rentals over Christmas (arrival on 23rd December) and New Year (arrival on 30th December), costing just £499 per week – under £85 per person. This is a 20% reduction on the original price of £623 per week. With average December temperatures of 15 degrees in nearby Paphos, it may even be possible to enjoy a few al fresco meals in the outdoor dining areas.
For large groups
Villa Bertina in the northwest of Sicily can comfortably accommodate 16 guests across eight bedrooms, all of which are en-suite, making it an ideal festive base for a large extended family. The living room has a fireplace, providing that all-important access for Father Christmas, and there’s even a grand piano to gather around for carol singing. A kitchenette on the first floor provides some extra space for preparing Christmas dinner. Villa Bertina is available for week-long stays over Christmas (arriving on 19th December) or New Year (arriving on 26th December) for £3,829 per week – approximately £240 per person based on maximum occupancy.
For Mediterranean views
Villa Gianno on the extreme southern tip of Sicily has magnificent views over the Mediterranean and the nearby town of Portopalo di Capo Passero. The closest beach is just 50 metres away – perfect for a Boxing Day or New Year’s Day walk. With three rooms sleeping six in the main house and a self contained apartment sleeping a further four guests, this property is an ideal option for two families or groups who might appreciate their own space from time to time. Villa Gianno is available for week-long stays over Christmas (arriving on 19th December) or New Year (arriving on 26th December) for just £1,350 per week – £135 per person based on maximum occupancy.
To book any of these properties, please call Villa Select on 01789 595435 or visit: www.villaselect.com