Chronic sitting is an unhealthy habit. We should all stand more and here’s the reasons why you should try to break the habit.
Using a standing desk between 9-5 (Monday-Friday) will burn off 300 calories extra per day, that’s an amazing 1,500 calories per work week and a staggering 78,000 calories burnt off per year! However, it is not all about the calories………
People who sit are at a higher risk of:
People who sit a lot tend to die earlier. Excessive sitting is linked with premature mortality from all causes, and the development of the ‘big three’ killer diseases: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Weight Gain and Obesity
Chronic sitters tend to be much heavier. Studies have identified a clear relationship between sitting time and obesity. Calorie burning and fat metabolism practically shut down when you sit for too long, which can lead to conditions like metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes. Office workers on average put on 16lbs within the first year of starting an office job.
Excessive sitting can lead to or exacerbate chronic back and neck pain. It creates tight hips, flabby glutes, soft abs and rounded shoulders, Our bodies are not meant to remain in any static position for hours at a time, yet our lifestyles mean we do.
Constant sitting makes you feel sad. It’s reported that people who sit for more than seven hours a day have a 47% higher risk of developing depression, than those who sit for less than four hours per day.
Mid Afternoon Slump
Sitting may be the reason for your afternoon slump. The metabolic and circulatory slowdown can affect your ability to focus and impact your performance, standing desk users report an increase in energy, focus and productivity, which is better for the user and their bosses.
Gym Time Won’t Help
Even physically fit people are open to these health hazards. Going to the gym daily won’t stop these risks, the only way to effectively combat sitting disease is to interrupt sitting regularly. Making a small change is all you need – simply by standing up or taking a quick walk will help your body.
Why Use a Varidesk?
- The VARIDESK is a sit/stand desk. It’s an effective, affordable, easy-to-use height adjustable desk for both home and office.
- The VARIDESK allows you to work from either a standing or a sitting position, and makes it easy for you to switch positions as often as you like. It’s an adjustable platform that sits on top of your existing desk.
- When you feel the need to stand, simply raise the VARIDESK up using the convenient handles on either side. Simply reverse the process to return to a seated position. You can also download the free Varidesk app, which will remind you hourly to stand up.
- Perhaps the most beneficial thing about stand up desks is how it can fight disease and promote good health. Research shows that staying in your chair for ten or more hours a week can be directly linked to weight gain, back issues and circulatory problems in the long run. In contrast, standing seems to reverse many of these illnesses.
- Standing improves your breathing by allowing the chest to be fully open, giving full facility to the diaphragm, maximising the available capacity for air intake into your lungs and so delivering more oxygen to your body which in turn improves your concentration.
- Instead of crouching over the computer screen, move naturally. This allows the body to burn calories and engages your muscles, the extra movement allows the blood to circulate throughout the body.
- Standing is an effective approach to tackling high blood pressure. Hypertension is an excessive fall in blood pressure that occurs when a person stands up or is in an upright position.
- Standing encourages mobility and constantly re-aligns the spine as you adjust your stance, engaging and strengthening the core muscles which in turn supports good posture.
Download the free to use Varidesk App, which will remind you to stand throughout the day!